Thought I would do a short post on sports photography. As a professional photographer who does a lot of sport, I thought I would give some general tips, not specific to any one sport.
- Get to know the sport well. Look for example photos from the great sports photographers and learn the rules, as sports photography is all about understanding the rules and anticipating the next move.
- Get into the best position possible if you have a choice that is
- Don’t be selfish, there are other people there who are entitled to enjoy the game
- Shutter speed is everything, some sports more than others, you will get a way with a slower shutter speed if the subject is coming towards you, or you are panning (ie looking for a blurred motion type of background), otherwise faster is better, some sports need very fast speeds ie golf to freeze the ball, and also for motor sport
- Stick to JPEGS, Raw will use up to much memory and slow you down. Also, you will discard loads of shots with sports photography
Hope that helps, more to come soon.