The conference photography season is in full swing and as a professional corporate photographer in and around Edinburgh, I keep re-evaluating my strategy and techniques. When you photograph events around Scotland regularly. here are a few tips for corporate event photographers. Whilst I am mentioning them in the context of conferences, they also apply to weddings, award ceremonies and other photographic events, particularly indoor photography.
- Whilst equipment is not the be all and end all, you have to keep ahead of new flash systems, lenses and flash modifiers. Most of conference photography is about improvising, utilising the space and in the short period of time you have, therefor the ability to use and modify your flash system is crucial.
- Have your own style but make sure you know what the client wants
- Don’t overdo the presentation shots, take your photos at the start and maybe a bit at the end, then back off, otherwise you will be regarded as a pest and wont be invited back again
- Use flash but not all the time, otherwise it will irritate the presenters and the audience
- Be friendly and helpful at all times, conference and corporate photography is also about your personality
- Allow for all eventualities ie double batteries, lenses, two cameras, make sure you arrive very early, to allow for traffic issues. Check your gear and battery levels all the times particularly at key moments
That’s all for this week, more conference and event photography in Scotland tips soon.
All the best.
Colin Wright Photography